Thursday, January 29, 2009

Second Guessing My Major

Since my World Politics class of my freshman fall semester, I've been wondering if I made the right decision by declaring International Studies as my major. I love the idea of states as actors on the global stage and how that affects international order and consequently our lives every day. But whenever I'm sitting in one of my major classes, it seems soo incredibly boring. Before my first semester in college ever ended, one of my professors told us that international politics relies heavily on food, coffee, alcohol, and sex. My only thought was, What am I getting myself into? I'm all about some food and coffee but I mean I'm not trying to incorporate sex into my professional life.

Every semester it never fails: the class I struggle to stay awake in and struggle to read for is always my class for international studies. It makes me feel incredibly inadequate for life after college since I have a hard time understanding IR theories in the classroom, let alone applying them to real life situations.

Now I'm in my last class for IS ever - my senior seminar. The entire class revolves around a simulation of the CIA, State Department, and Department of Defense. It's probably going to kick my butt, but hopefully I'll finally learn something practical before I graduate. I'm responsible for knowing everything about terrorism and Political Islam, as it relates to the CIA. Talk about trying to catch up on what's been going on in the world for the past eight years! I am so behind on life right now.

And the real problem is that as I'm trying to read the news and figure out the deal with Gaza and Ahmadinejad and the new interrogation policy of the CIA, I'm getting so distracted by everything else more interesting CNN.com has to offer like headline "Crumbling economy will make for thinner boxes of Thin Mints" (which is a shame because Thin Mints are my favorite Girl Scout cookies) and a video about former NFL player Ted Johnson (go Patriots!) wanting to donate his brain to science. Either I have ADD or I would rather think about brains and cookies than analyze terrorism and think about trying to get a real job one day.

It's pretty pathetic, since I'm almost done college and the most logical places for me to look for a job would be the CIA or State Department. But I do know that God is sovereign and He will place me where He wants me to be and where I can best glorify Him. I just need to be faithful to where He has me now. In my senior seminar. Reading news stories. All day long.

No comments: